Saturday, June 7, 2008

Therein lies sorrow in happiness.

Kevin Kern writes lovely songs. I have been intrigued by Kevin Kern's compositions of late. The title of his songs piques my curiosity. His titles may reflect happy cheerful themes, sometimes they reflect reminiscent of childhood as well. But the compositions don't always mirror the titles. They are melodious, and tranquil, mostly written in major keys. However, there is this element of ... sadness in his songs. not of great sorrow, or depression. Just sadness. He writes in major keys, yet is able to bring out sombreity. Such is the mystery and allure in his compositions. Each piece is a reflection of many things in life. The only thing I hope I am able to do to bring justice to his songs, is to try playing each piece as best as I can. Absolutely lovely.